Are you a highly motivated and enthusiastic person eager to contribute to cutting-edge biomedical imaging research? The Biomedical Engineering department at Erasmus MC is looking for a passionate PhD candidate to join our team and drive innovation in Quantitative Photoacoustic Imaging (QPA) to advance our understanding of atherosclerosis. Identifying plaque composition within the carotid artery is crucial for assessing plaque stability and preventing life-threatening conditions like stroke. Photoacoustic imaging is a potential technique to quantify the plaque composition non-invasively. However, the unknown light propagation in the tissue limits its applicability. In this role, you will develop a novel photoacoustic imaging method, employing an iterative algorithm to retrieve plaque composition.
- Conduct research in combined ultrasound and quantitative photoacoustic imaging.
- Develop an iterative algorithm to model light propagation in tissue, facilitating retrieval of plaque composition.
- Validate the algorithm's efficacy using ex vivo plaque samples and histology. -Design and execute experiments to explore the clinical potential of our proposed quantitative photoacoustic imaging approach.
- Analyze and interpret experimental data, driving meaningful insights.
- Contribute to scientific reports and publications that shape the future of medical imaging.
- Collaborate closely with clinicians, engineers, and fellow researchers to bring the technique to clinical use.
If you are ready to make a significant impact on the field of biomedical imaging and tackle the challenge of quantitative photoacoustic imaging of atherosclerosis, we encourage you to apply for this exciting PhD opportunity at Erasmus MC.
A healthy population and excellence in healthcare through research and education. This is what Erasmus MC stands for. Conducting groundbreaking work, pushing boundaries and leading the way. In research, education, and healthcare. We are practical people with a high level of expertise, working hard to improve and renew the healthcare of today and the public health of tomorrow.
Biomedical Engineering (Biomedical Engineering (erasmusmc.nl) is a group of 70 researchers performing highly innovative research in cardiovascular diagnosis and therapy. We focus on translational research in imaging with ultrasound and light, ultrasound contrast agents for molecular imaging and drug delivery, and vascular biomechanics.
Click here for more information.
Qualifications and skills
We are seeking candidates with the following qualifications:
- A master's degree in biomedical engineering, mechanical engineering, physics, or related fields.
- A solid foundation in (biomedical) optics, imaging, and signal processing.
- Previous experience in ultrasound imaging or photoacoustic imaging is advantageous.
- Proficiency in programming languages such as MATLAB and Python.
- Familiarity with numerical optimization methods.
- Outstanding communication and collaboration skills, enabling effective teamwork.
- Self-motivated, detail-oriented, and adept at both independent and collaborative work.
Before you apply please check our conditions for employment.
For more information about this position, please contact Dr. Francis Kalloor, email@example.com.
If you are excited by the thought of this position and would like to apply, please do so by using the application form on our website. Your application should include:
- Up-to-date CV.
- Motivation letter (max 1 page).
- Contact details of 2 references.
No agencies please.